Saturday, November 22, 2008

At ODDS - Chapter 5

Chapter 5
Making Amends

The country club was the only place Jay could go to. At this point in time, she was glad everything was over. The malpractice suit against her was dropped, and also, there was a public apology from Arnie Marin. Even then, she still felt alienated and ashamed. Everywhere she went, there were people looking at her like she came from Mars. She was still thinking of resigning and transferring to the city. That way, she can start over again. She even thought of selling the house. Now that was another reason why she was in the club. She just met with a realtor friend and had something worked out regarding the sale of her property.
She had just finished her lunch and went to her Range Rover to get her gear and then to the shooting range for rifling later afternoon. She was going to release all her tension and anger through all those bullets. She reached her car and took her gear. As she closed the tailgate, she throat clear behind her.
"Hello, Doctor." It was the deep, husky voice of Arnie Marin.
Jay's response was flat, and cold, "Hello yourself."
"Look, I thought we already buried the hatchet. Why is it that I see a lot of ire in you?"
Jay looked at her clothes. "I don't see any." She motioned to walk away but after two steps, a strong hand grasped her arm. This time, the grasp was gentle.
"Please, Doctor. I am someone who can't rest easy until I know the person I've wronged forgives me. I have so much to thank you for. You saved my brother's life and that means a lot to me. My brother is very important to me. He's the only family I have left. Please understand if sometimes I trudge on other people. I normally don't."
"Sure you don't. I thought aristocratic people did." Jay's sarcasm was really burning.
"I know I've caused you a lot of shame. And I am really sorry. It's not excuse, but I'm just very protective of the people I really care about."
Jay looked at him. He seemed sincere enough. "I see that. Now please let go of me. I have to go and shoot."
Arnie released his grip on her arm and gave out a wan smile. For the first time since their first encounter, she saw his anger-filled eyes brightened. His eyes now were not the usual dagger-stabbing eyes but more of the humorous crescents. She was compelled to lighten up and return the same wan superficial smile but she just looked at him blankly.

- Para sa aking mga mambabasa, ipagpaumanhin po ninyo ang paputol-putol kong pagpopost ng katuluyan ng nobelang ito sa kadahilanang maraming ginagawa ang inyong lingkod. Maraming Salamat Po.

No comments: