Wednesday, January 14, 2009

At 23 - Putting My Self at the Fututre

As a child, I felt so limited. There were a lot of things I could not do and understand.
During my teen years, there wasn’t enough time. There were a lot of things I wanted to do and understand.
At 23, I think about the future. I begin to look for a job; and worse, find ways to keep one think of how and when and with whom I will start a family; and where I will be years from now. Things are more complicated these days.
I am beginning to make sense, to think rationally. And the funny thing is, I kind of like the idea.
I work on my goals. While I day-dreamed then daydreamed more during my teen years, I now find myself working hard on my goals. To reach my aims in life – and this is for certain – I have to wake up, and real soon.
I now value family. Mom still nags about almost everything (my hobbies, my sports, my friends and even my haircut!) yet I don’t pick a fight like I used to. I just ignore her remarks and stay friendly. I remember everyone’s birthday and holidays spent with the entire family. I now understand and appreciate why reunions are necessary even if the clan lives on the same block and sees each other everyday. Family’s family.
I am accountable for whatever my actions deliberate or otherwise, may result to. I can always blame it on my ignorance or naiveté. This time, however, there’s no excuse. I miss the appointments not because of the traffic, but simply put, I failed to wake up early. Things could have gone the other way.
I have to be tough. Friends and families will always be there to support and help me alright, but I only have myself to depend upon most of the time. I want to be victorious over life’s obstacles and to achieve that, my only choice is to be strong.
I keep myself young at heart. Even if at times I feel like I’ve explored all aspects of life, relive my past remembering how excited I was watching Voltes-V or Mickey Mouse, or not missing a week of Barney and Friends.
I keep myself fit. I want to get all the baby fats out of my system. And cure all my post-adolescent acne. I play to keep myself in condition and not win like before.
I don’t know who hosts the Top Tenthese Days and who’s dislodging who at the billboard. No more pop ditties for me. Instead, I am getting acquainted with operas, jazz, country and broadway shows. And I am actually enjoying these.
I read the paper in its entirety. This time – front to back! I don’t fall asleep watching documentaries nor bored with ABC, CNN, CNBC and the Discovery Channel. I now know why Dad reads Time and Newsweek and still watches new nightly without fail.
I use my time wisely. Suddenly, there’s not a moment to kill. Not enough time to finish all the work and get ready for some more.
I start talking sensibly. I think a million times before saying anything. “Please” and “thank you” are now part of every conversation. Most of the things that come out of my mouth are new to me yet everything’s meant deeply.
Fads are passé. I am into classic now – watches, jeans and even my hair! Phones are strictly for business and essential matters. No more textmates. I’d rather talk to myself than over the phone.
I stay at home. Malls were haven years ago but not anymore. Sating in my room with my pet is more relaxing than strolling at Glorietta for hours. And if I have to go out, it’s gotta be museums, exhibit or galas. Concerts are replaced by plays and dinner shows.
I find myself attending engagement parties and weddings more than birthday parties. And that means no more come-as-you-are look. What I swore I would never wear is becoming a habit – formal suits.
At 23, I couldn’t believe it, but I am actually doing and understanding a lot of things now.

No comments: